WHAT WE DID TODAY:
Friday 9-23-19 Today the bell ringer was to work on the chapter 1 & 2 study guide. We went over the first 1/2 of the study guide and students were given a chace to write them down, as they were displayed on the Smart Board. Students then read through the Declartaion of Independence and discussed it. After that, they were given time to finish their study guides. Homework is to finish the study guide as they will get a grade for it on Monday.
Thursday 9-22-19 Today the bell ringer was to silently study befor the chapter 2 vocab and comprehension quiz. The terms and definitions were displayed on the board, and we went over them. Students then took the chapter 2 vocab and comprehension quiz. After the quiz, they were asked to finish all incomplete work from chapter 2 and then to start the chapter 1 & 2 study guide.
Wednesday 9-21-19 Today the bell ringer was to copy and answer the following question from page 37 on the weaknesses of the Articles of Confederation.
6. What were some of the weaknesses of the national government under the Articles of Confederation? Possible answer: There was no executive branch to ensure that the laws passed by Congress were carried out. There were no national courts to interpret laws or judge people who broke the laws. Congress could not raise money to pay for the country's debts or carry out government activities.
We then gave students a chance to finish the 2.2 guided reading and questions before going over it. We then checked the ch 2 vocab activity for a completion grade. We then read chapter 2 section 3 and compled the chapter 2 section 3 questions. Homework is to study for tomorrow's chapter 2 vocab and comprehension quiz.
Tuesday 9-20-19 Today the bell ringer was to copy and answer the following question from page 31.
5. What is the cartoonist trying to say about those who wish to suppress peaceful protest? That those who wish to suppress peaceful protest are undemocratic.
We then gave students a chance to finish the 2.1 handout befroe going over it. We watched 2 video clips about the Articles of Confederation.
We then read chapter 2 section 2 and started working on the 2.2 guided reaing and questions.
Monday 9-19-19 Today the bell ringer was to copy the weekly agenda (see calendar tab). We then fiinshed the chaper 2 vocab activity and the census activity. We then watched a video clip about differnt types of governmetns. We then read chapter 2 section 1 and completed the 2.1 handout. Students worked on the 2.1 handout questions. Homework is to complete ch 2 vocab activity and the census activity if they did not.
Friday 9-16-19 Today the bell ringer was to copy and answer the following question from the Learning English box on page 20.
4. What might be the advantages and disadvantages of both bilingual and immersion programs? Bilingual programs make sure students learn various subjects, but they may learn English slower. Students might learn English faster in immersion classes but could fall behind in other subjects.
We then gave students a chance to complete the chapter 2 vocabulary from yesterday. We then looked at www.census.gov and discussed the census and watched a few short clips off the site. Studnets were then given a copy of the upcoming 2020 census to fill out (they keept this). Homework is to complete the chapter 2 vocab and 2020 census sheet that were passed out (students were told they cound make up info on census sheet if they did not know or want to put their real answers)
how Target uses census data:
Thursday 8-15-19 Today the bell ringer was to silently study ch 1 vocab and look over all classwork for the comprehension quiz (ch 1 vocab terms and definitions were shown on the smart board at the front of the class during this time). We then took the chapter 1 vocab and comprehension quiz. After the quiz students worked ont he cahpter 2 vocabualry handout. I did the first one on the board to show students as an example on how to complete it. We will finish ch 2 vocab in class later.
Wednesday 8-14-19 Today the bell ringer was to copy and answer the 2 questions from the American Civil Liberties box on page 13.
2. What role did religion play in the arrival of early American colonists? Many early colonists came to America to escape religious persecution in their home countries.
3. Why do you think some colonial settlements were successful in supporting religious liberty while others were not? Possible answer: some colonists wished to establish their own religions, while others hoped to avoid the intolerance of the places they had fled.
We then read through chapter 1 section 2 and completd the 1.2 worksheet. We then went over the 1.2 questions. We read chapter 1 section 3 and completed the 1.3 questions. We then reviewed chapter 1 vocabulary. Homework is to study for the chapter 1 vocab and comprehension quiz that is tomorrow. You can study your classowrk from this week and the vocabualry is below in a word document, or you can study your vocab activity sheet.
Tuesday 8-13-19 Today the bell ringer was to copy and answe the following question from the equality of access box on page 8.
1. How do people today benefit from equal access to transportation?
Then students were given a chance to finish the 1.1 guided reading and ch 1 vocab activity before we went over them. We then watched a videoclip on how to become a citizen from the U.S. citizenship website. We then read through chapter 1 section 2 and worked otn the 1.2 questions.
Monday 8-12-19 Today the bell ringer was to copy the weekly agenda (see calendar link). We then watched a video clip on what is civics. We then read chapter 1 section 1. Students then worked on the 1.1 guided reading and the chaper 1 vocab activity.
Friday 8-9-19 Today was the second day of school, we showed students how to use this website, and how to use the textbook website, and how to log on (instructions under the textbook tab of this website). We then got to know each other a little more.
Thursday 8-8-19 Today was the first day of school, students came in and copied the weekly agenda and then we got to know each other. We then went over the syllabus, and students need to get it signed and return it tomorrow.